Vancouver building bylaw

Energy requirements for home renovations

The 2019 Vancouver Building By-law (VBBL) requires that you perform energy-efficient

measures as part of your renovation if you are planning to renovate a:

  • Laneway house or infill

  • Single detached house

  • Duplex unit

Any new work and room additions must also comply with the VBBL, including walls, windows, and heating and hot water systems.

Renovating a larger building? Review energy requirements for large and retail and commercial buildings

The upgrades depend on the year of the scope and the cost of the project. Homes completing EnerGuide assessments must submit a renovation energy upgrade proposal form, completed by your energy advisor.

More Info

In conclusion, if you are looking more info on the Vancouver Building By-law for 6-storey or less multi-unit residential buildings CLICK HERE.

About Us

The designation of energy advisor (EA) registered with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) means that a person has met and maintained all of the required qualifications to deliver EnerGuide rating services for eligible homes in Canada. An NRCan-registered EA can also add other NRCan services to their qualification. Energy Advisors provide third party expert advice to builders and homeowners who wish to use the EnerGuide Rating System in the design stages of new construction or during renovation stages.

Ecosteps Energy is committed to reducing the the carbon footprint of Homes through building science and energy efficiency. Our Energy Advisors have a passion for energy efficiency and are qualified to work on your new or Existing home.

photography of building during nighttime

Get in touch

Contact Us

Metro Vancouver, Surrey, Delta, Richmond, Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Mission, Maple Ridge, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Burnaby, North and West Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Kelowna, Kamloops

Areas We Serve